History of the College
Dedicated to the revered memory of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi College was founded by the Nair Service Society in 1948, with contributions from people from all walks of life.
The success of the Society’s campaign for the establishment of the first of its many academic institutions was due to the vision, leadership and untiring efforts of the late Sri. Mannathu Padmanabhan, the founder of the Nair Service Society.
The College was started in 1948, initially in the premises of Vadasseri Amma Veedu at Perumthanni and later it was shifted to its present site.
His Excellency Sri. C. Rajagopalachari, the last Governor General of India, laid the foundation stone of the new building on a to acre hillock at Kesavadasapuram, on August 22, 1948. The arts Section was shifted to the new building in 1949, and the Science section in 1950. The main building complex was completed in 1958 and was inaugurated by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India on 24, April, 1958. The College celebrated its Silver Jubilee during 1974-75. The foundation stone for a new three storied building, the Mannam Memorial Block, on the southern side of the main building was laid by Sri.P. K. Narayana Panicker, the General Secretary of the Nair Service Society, on 23, April, 1989, and the building on completion was inaugurated by Dr. Saroop Singh, the then Governor of Kerala, on 2, October, 1990. The Platinum Jubilee Gate, named after Sri. C.P. Gopala Panicker, was declared open by the General Secretary on 18 April, 1990.
At the moment, Mahatma Gandhi College is the torch-bearing collegiate institution of the Nair Service Society with nearly 3000 students pursuing their studies in various disciplines. At present there are 14 Degree and 9 Post Graduate courses. The College also offers Research facilities leading to Ph.D Degree in five disciplines. There is also a U.G.C aided job-oriented B.Sc Degree Course in Instrumentation.
The College celebrated its Golden Jubilee along with the nation’s 50th anniversary of Independence.
- With its state-of-the-art infra-structural conveniences and committed teachers, the institution provides quality education through effective curriculum transaction, talent search, soft skills development, remedial coaching and career guidance and placement services.
- Systematic and scientific initiation into the respective subject is made mandatory at the beginning of the course and the academic business is strictly according to an institutional academic calendar. The institution provides a synergy of curricular and co-curricular activities.
- Allows flexibility in transactional strategies and encourages the use of ICT in classroom teaching.
- Identifying exceptionally talented students and providing them with advanced training in their discipline to promote their pursuit of excellence.
- Remedial coaching for under achievers and slow learners
- Development of interpersonal communication, ICT and leadership skills to keep the students abreast of the changing world scenario.
- Enhancing R & D efforts for knowledge generation
- Career guidance and placement services
- Maintenance of academic and administrative accountability through regular PTS meetings and feedback from students, parents and peers.
- Counselling, awareness programmes and consultancy services by the faculty for the amelioration of the problems of the society.